For people looking for cars as an investment, the Kelley Blue Book Best Resale Value Awards held each year has been a reliable resource. The organization judges the top ten cars each year that have the best resale value after 3 years and after 5 years. Here are the results from 2013; maybe they’ll inspire a buying decision, or even a selling decision, in 2014.
1. 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser: Toyota led the pack in 2013 with the FJ Cruiser. It’s a truly unique vehicle to look at and to ride in, with an estimated resale value at 63% after five years.
2. 2013 Toyota Tacoma: This is the tenth time the Tacoma has received a Best Resale Value Award, proving the truck is not only a good buy, but a good sell as well. According to KBB, the Tacoma has a resale value at about 57% at 5 years.
3. 2013 Jeep Wrangler: The third seat doesn’t belong to Toyota, but instead goes to the rugged, all-terrain 2013 Jeep Wrangler. Jeep has always been a sought after brand, and it’s not surprising to see the Wrangler near the top with an estimated resale value of 55.4% at 5 years.
4. 2013 Honda CR-V: Honda made its first appearance in the top ten with the popular CR-V. The smaller SUV also boasts some high general ratings from KBB and even took home the top spot in their most recent compact SUV comparison test. The resale value after 5 years is 50.7%.
5. 2013 Toyota 4Runner: Toyota comes back to the top ten with the 2013 4Runner at the number 5 spot. The 4Runner has been a favorite among consumers and is well known, like most Toyota models, for long life. The 4Runner boasts a 49% resale value after 5 years.
6. 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser: Toyota takes another Best Resale Value Award home with the 2013 Land Cruiser at number 6. The Land Cruiser is the most luxurious in the Toyota lineup, and although the general value of the vehicle isn’t as high as some others on this list, the resale value holds at 49% after 5 years.
7. 2013 Porsche Cayenne: The Cayenne brought about the most change for Porsche fans when it was first released. The prominent luxury sports car maker wasn’t known for its SUVs. But the Cayenne stands firm in the KBB top ten Resale Value list, sitting at number 7 with a 47.3% resale value after 5 years.
8. 2013 Lexus LX: Toyota did it again, but this time with the 2013 Lexus LX. An even more luxurious version of the Toyota Land Cruiser, the LX has a hefty asking price but must retain its value since the estimated resale value after 5 years is 47%.
9. 2013 Honda Civic: The first compact sedan to make an appearance on the 2013 Best Resale Value Awards list is the 2013 Honda Civic. The Civic made several very desirable changes in 2013 that must have had a hand in its placement at number 9. The Civic achieved the award with an impressive 46.9% resale value after 5 years.
10. 2013 Scion tC: Toyota brings home the number 10 spot with the 2013 Scion tC. The Scion remains a popular choice among consumers looking for a reliable and affordable coupe. The Scion achieved this spot in the 2013 Best Resale Value Awards list with a 46.5% resale value after 5 years.